NOTICE FOR HOMECHOICE APPLICANTS
From April 2014, the Council will be replacing existing secure (lifetime) tenancies with introductory and flexible tenancies for new tenants, with the exception of older people moving into sheltered accommodation.This was approved by Full Council on 23 April 2013.
Introductory tenancies run for the first 12 months of occupation. They are effectively a trial period, before automatically becoming flexible tenancies, unless proceedings have commenced to end the tenancy.
Flexible tenancies are expected to last for five years but can be renewed for further five year periods if the tenant still needs social housing and their present home meets the requirements of the household. The expectation is that the majority of tenancies will be renewed, unless the tenants' circumstances have changed.
If circumstances have changed, tenants may be asked to move to another more suitable home, for example, if a single person is living in a family-sized home.The reasons why a new tenancy may not be re-issued are explained in the Tenancy Policy. Reviews will be carried out 6-9 months before a tenancy is due to end, so the tenants will have plenty of notice and time to get help and advice.
The introduction of introductory and flexible tenancies will not affect existing tenants who currently hold a secure (lifetime) tenancy.
Welcome to Waverley Homechoice, Waverley Borough Council's online system for allocating council and partner housing association properties for rent.
We aim to give you more choice in deciding where you want to live. Properties that are available for rent will be advertised each week from midnight Wednesday through to midnight Sunday - known as the bidding cycle.
You must then tell us which properties you are interested in. This process is known as bidding. You may only bid for a property if your application has been accepted onto our housing register. For details on how to apply, go to Housing Register.
Bids are ranked according to your priority on the housing register. It makes no difference when you choose to bid within the bidding cycle.
Important information for those bidding for properties:
1. Please be aware that when we advertise properties they are usually still occupied by the current tenant. Photographs will not always be of the actual property and are for guidance purposes only. If you decide to go to the particular road in which properties are advertised, please respect the privacy of tenants. The Council reserves the right to overlook bids from applicants who do not respect the privacy of our tenants or the tenants of our housing association partners. Thank you for your co-operation.
2. Please think carefully about the property that you are bidding for. Is it in an area you will move to? Can you see yourself living there?
3. Please ensure that we have your current telephone number and that your telephone takes incoming calls.
4. Remember: If your bid is successful you will be invited to view the property within office hours and this can be at short notice. It is likely that you will be given less than 2 weeks notice to move.
5. Offers will not be made, or will be withdrawn, if you have rent arrears in a private rented, Council or Housing Association tenancy, owe Council Tax or if you have other unpaid housing related debts with the Council or other social landlord.
The Waverley Homechoice website is packed with useful information to help you find a suitable home. You can use this website to:
If you would like help to use Waverley Homechoice please contact our Homechoice helpline on 01483 523019.
Click How to Contact Us for contact details and opening hours.
Waverley is also part of a Sub Regional Scheme with Guildford, Hart and Rushmoor Councils known as Homeselecta. Under this scheme Waverley applicants can bid properties in Guildford, Hart and Rushmoor. Further details are available at Homeselecta.
If you are interested in Shared Ownership or Homebuy, further details, including how to register, are available from Catalyst Housing Group.
If you are already a Council or housing association tenant and are interested in swapping your home (known as a mutual exchange), please visit Homeswapper for more information about how to register online.
Some information on this site is in PDF format (Portable Document Format) To view these documents you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader.